READ THIS WHOLE THING!!
Welcome to “Elements”!!
As a new member, you will be starting in our “Elements” course which is designed to expose and teach you the essential movements of CrossFit. In order to progress to the regular classes, you must prove to the coaches that you are capable of performing all movements correctly and – above all else – safely.
As our elements classes have been growing, we require that you attend an Elements Seminar on the Saturday prior to the beginning of the Elements Class. We will not be working out during this class, however we will be going over class schedule, expectations, and most importantly, paperwork so we can get right into the class on the first day. To sign up for the Elements Seminar, go to https://clients.mindbodyonline.com/ASP/home.asp?studioid=10465 . If you don’t have a Mind Body Account, step by step instructions can be found here
You must attend “Elements” a minimum of three (3) times per week. The six days (Monday through Saturday) are broken into three unique training sessions (which are the required three times you must attend). The schedule looks like this:
|Session #1||Session #1||Session #2||Session #2||Session #3||Session #3|
The class times are 7:00am Monday, Wednesday, Friday and 6pm Monday through Friday. The Saturday class is held at 8:30am only. If the elements class is large we will ask you to try to come at the same time block so we can ensure that coach to student ratio is sufficient to provide high quality instruction.
Be sure to arrive on time or 5 minutes early. Do your best to not miss any classes since the curriculum is progression-based. If it happens, you will have to make up the missed class via a private skill session at $20/$40/$55 depending on how many classes have been missed. Make up sessions will be charged to the card we have on file.
Graduation is not guaranteed by attendance only. You have to be able to demonstrate good basic competency in ALL essential movements contained within the curriculum. Repeating the “Elements” course, if needed, will ensure that you do not get lost in the regular CrossFit classes. It also ensures that you will be able to continue to move forward and progress.
- Skills review
- Skills of the Day
- Workout of the Day
- Cool-down & Lecture
How to use the CrossFit 702 classes:
- Come often, and early (10 minutes in advance) every week. 3x or more/week for best results.
- ATTITUDE – Cheer others on, clap and give high 5’s – it will improve YOUR results!
- Be responsible.
- Stay alert, awake, and fully engaged in class.
- Pick up after yourself – re-rack weights, put away boxes, re-hang rubber bands
- Clean up after yourself – bring a workout towel and wipe the floor if you spill water and/or chalk.
- Be honest with your numbers! No “snitting”!!
- Use the web site daily to watch for upcoming info, workouts, and posting comments
- Participate in all seminars and events – they will really help your training
Beyond the Whiteboard
CrossFit 702 members utilize internet-based software called Beyond the Whiteboard to record and track all of their progress. You can access it through our webpage (www.cf702.com) or by going their directly (www.beyondthewhiteboard.com). You will create a profile after the ‘Elements’ course is complete.
Acronyms, Abbreviations, and Definitions
- WOD = workout of the day
- BTWB = Beyond the Whiteboard (workout tracking software)
- Scaling = Changing the workout parameters to better suit an individual’s ability
- RX’d = As prescribed (refers to performing the workout without scaling)
- AMRAP = As Many Rounds (sometimes Reps) As Possible
- BW (or BWT) = bodyweight
- HSPU = Handstand Push-up
- SDHP = Sumo-deadlift High-pull
- KB = Kettlebell
- KTE = Knees-to-Elbows
- Met Con = A metabolic conditioning workout (i.e. a workout that demands some combination of short, medium, and long term power output).
- OHS = Overhead Squat
- Pood = A Russian measurement for kettlebell weight. 1 Pood = 35lbs.
- The Girls = Named benchmark workouts the world-wide CrossFit community understands (i.e. “Angie” is 100 Pull-ups, 100 Push-ups, 100 Sit-ups, 100 Squats for time).
- The Heroes = The same as “The Girls” but named after fallen military and law enforcement personnel. They are generally more difficult (i.e. “Murph” 1 mile run, 100 Pull-ups, 200 Push-ups, 300 Squats, 1 mile run for time).
- PR = Personal Record. An improvement or all-time personal best in a workout.
- Box = A CrossFit facility.
- BTWB = BeyondTheWhiteBoard.com. Software used to track workout progress.
As mentioned earlier, “Elements” is designed to ramp up your techniques and conditioning so you are more prepared for the regular CrossFit classes. After graduation, we still ask that you attend a minimum of three classes per week. If we notice you attendance is lacking, we will call or e-mail you to check-in.
This is not just a gym; CrossFit 702 is a change in your life for the better.
Eat All You Want:
- Lean Meats – any lean beef (7% ground beef, sirloin), any lean pork, chicken/turkey breast, eggs, fish and other seafood (scallops, clams, shrimp, etc.); fresh or frozen.
- Veggies – any fresh or frozen vegetable (no potato, corn, peas, or beans).
Eat in Moderation:
- Nuts/seeds/oils – Any kind, raw/lightly roasted and unsalted; or any nut butter (no peanuts!).
- Fruit – Any whole fresh fruit (no juice). Try to keep under two servings per day.
- No sugar or artificial sweetners (Equal, Splenda, agave nectar, pure cane, corn syrup, fructose, molasses, honey, maltodextrin, etc.).
- No junk food (Cakes, desserts, cookies, candy, chocolate, pastries, chips, crackers, ice cream).
- No grains (wheat, corn, rice, pasta, bread, barley, oatmeal, cereal, etc.).
- No legumes/beans (peanuts, soy, anything that says “bean”, etc.).
- No dairy – unless specified (milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, half & half, etc.).
- www.crossfit.com – CrossFit Headquarters
- www.cf702.com – CF702 Homepage (daily updates, schedule, program info, coaches)
- www.crossfitendurance.com – A program for endurance athletes utilizing CrossFit principals
- www.crossfitfootball.com – A program for power athletes utilizing CrossFit principals
- www.crossfitmom.com – A pre-natal program for moms to be
- www.zonediet.com – Everything you wanted to know about portion control
- www.thepaleodiet.com – Everything you wanted to know about food selection
- www.paleodiet.com – Recipe resource
- www.robbwolf.com – Nutrition blog from a biochemist well-known in the fitness industry
Miscellaneous Reference Links